Starfish and rings and running oh my

Sunday was a quiet day. The morning was spent lounging and chatting (and ring fondling), until we decided we needed to get out of the house and shake the dust of the city off. We drove up to Egmont and walked the rather gentle path over to Skookumchuck Narrows. They really are cool: you can hear the rushing of the tidal waters through the narrows from quite a distance. It looks just like a bit of rapid on a river, since the further shore is really quite close -- except, of course, that it is ocean.

We got to wander down the forest paths hand-in-hand being goofy and silly and all in-lovey. Then we ate granola bars and watched the bore, then we poked purple starfish (which are hard! really, not all soft like they look), then I got bored (of the bore...heh) and started back early. Even though I was only walking on my own for some 20 minutes, I realized how much I am used to walking with Steve, being all -- well, being us.

The walk, however, was a good cardio workout, which is good training for the West Coast Trail. After we decided to do the WCT, back in early May, I told Steve that I didn't want to be proposed to on the Trail, when I would be stinky and perhaps wet and unhappy. Little did I know that Steve had decided then to leave the ring at his parents to propose upon our return (when we'd be clean and dry and, presumably, happy). I'm glad he didn't do that, for three reasons... first, because I'm impatient, and wouldn't want to wait; second, because I would always wonder if I passed some kind of test on the WCT which made him decide to propose and thirdly, because... if I'm wet and unhappy (and whiny) I might not pass the test :-(

Anyhoo, now that the first week of OMG-ness has (mostly) worn off, I've been thinking more in focus about wedding stuff. I've had ideas about my wedding for years, like most women, but now that the reality is here, I'm finding out what I 'really actually for real' want.

I had initially thought of a rustic, organic wedding, with little lavender plants and cedar saplings as favours/table decorations on top of cedar boughs. Then I started thinking of how I could get my rustic decor a little more sparkly, by adding some tealights in clear glass votives... then I realized that I Really Wanted a sparkly wedding with rustic/organic touches. Now I'm putting (theoretically) cedar boughs, lavender and red roses in glass vases on runners of red crepe paper with tealights in glass votives... then I read some website that had all white linen & china with with fruit bowls... stupid internet! Oh well, this is why I have ten months, right?

Speaking of ten months... I don't have any "in ten months I want to weigh 110lb" expectations, but I am pleased that we are getting out and getting exercised... being with someone forever reminds me that I should take better care of myself, so that I am better able to take care of my *husband* and, eventually, children. To better train for the WCT, and for life in general, part of my wedding planning is fitness training... which is why I took up running. Today. Yes, really, today. Steve is a runner from way back, though he hasn't done much (ok, any) since we got together, so he knows how to do it right. We went to Cliff Gilker Park and ran (and walked) along the trails, which is my favorite way to run (and walk). Angel, our (nee my) dog, was O Happy Day to have two (two!) walks in one day, and... well, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Actually, it wasn't bad at all. It was actually quite nice. We went for 20 or so minutes, and ran some and walked some and ran some more. Next training day is Thursday (wish me luck).

On the upside, my ring is getting sized tomorrow! I take it in at 9am and pick it up by 5pm... Findlayson's Goldsmiths have kindly offered to rush my sizing so that I can have it asap. A woman in my office recommended them, and they are over a week faster than the other place that called me back, so easy decision. And one more thing off the list.

List... hmmm, there's something on that list... Crap! I forgot to book the hall for the Friday night! Tomorrow, I swear.

Here is a purple starfish, just begging to be poked:

No comments: