SEVEN rocks, no less!

So today was ring-shopping day. Since Steve totally blew his engagement timeline (personally, I think it's cuter'n heck that he couldn't wait to ask me), he didn't have a ring in-hand to propose with.

We decided to walk onto the boat -- the ferry that leads to the mainland -- and bus downtown to check out some supposedly-legendary sale at the Bay. After some espresso-fortification, we headed into the infamous Hudson's Bay Company to look for a ring. And basically found nothing.

Next stop, Metrotown Centre, the largest mall in BC, where a co-worker had recommended Ben Moss. Once in Metrotown, we basically drifted from jewellery store to jewellery store looking at and trying on.

Since we are determined to not go into debt for our wedding, including the ring, we were very up-front that we had a small budget. Some salespeople looked on our declaration as a challenge to find their most-on-sale rings for us to look at; others looked at it as a challenge to get us to go into debt: "no payments to 2007", "we do have layaway", and "come on, it's the most important ring you'll buy." Whatever. Out of the ten or so stores we visited, we got exactly one 'congratulations'.

After the end of a long day and one all-you-can-eat-sushi lunch, we had narrowed the field to two... ok four. At one of the early stores, we saw a princess cut 'green quartz' solitaire with diamonds on the shoulders that was nice (but I might have been sick of it in 40 years), a small but brilliant diamond solitaire with a lovely simple setting (which I was afraid I would break, as I'm not very gentle with my hands), a princess cut blue topaz with two tiny diamonds (which was an important $25 over our budget) and an unusual, organic design peppered with seven tiny diamonds (which can't really be worn with a wedding band). Since we aren't traditional anyway (ok, not capital-T traditional), we opted for the organic shape.

I have ten months to decide if I want a wedding band also, in which case I'll move it up a finger or to my right hand. I can't wait to wear it! but I have to wait at least until it's sized... and Steve thought I was impatient before! We hadn't been in the house five minutes before I had left voicemails for every jeweller in town. Ok, there's only three. But still!

Here is the lovely thing:

So.. that's one thing crossed off the list. And two more added: get ring resized and add to insurance policy. So far, I have booked the hall (yay me! except that I forgot to book it for decorating or rehearsal time... must remedy that on Monday) and... that's it. I booked the hall -- Chaster House, a heritage house right on the ocean in Bonniebrook -- the day after Steve proposed. I guess it was weighing on my mind, eh?

Most of the magazines & websites I've read say this is the time to finalize location (done!), finalize budget (I need to know more prices before I can do this), finalize guest list (ha! not even close), and start trying on dresses (God help me). We've asked our people of honour and brides/grooms people: Rita as MoH, [the person Steve apparently hasn't asked yet] as BM (heh), Alex and Lisa as attendants. We've told the parents (and that's two funny stories for later) and told all our friends.

It seems like a lot to do some ten months in advance, and from what I've heard, It's Not Going To Get Any Better.


Darling, have you ever been to Vegas?

No comments: