Rememberings.

So. I forgot to mention, we had an anniversary. October 21, 2006 was the one-year anniversary of the night we first met, and since we were/are one of those 'love at first sight' couples, it marks the beginning of our relationship as well.

Oh... actually, I did mention it. A few posts ago. What I didn't mention was all the anniversaries that have followed in the past few weeks: the anniversary of our first kiss, of my first trip to the Coast, of Steve's friend Hahle's death on October 31, 2005 (shocking and very sad, and left me, the new girlfriend, with exactly no idea of what to say), and of course, the anniversary of my first evening at our friend Diana's house.

Friday nights, Steve and an assortment of other musicians go over to Di's oceanfront cottage and play Celtic music (mostly). Di has a grand and beautiful harp, Steve plays mandolin, and various people play various other things. It is an amazing thing to be able be able to attend, as a non-musician, and I still feel honoured every time I go. Even though their close friend Hahle had just just passed away, Diana still said 'yes' when Steve asked if his new girlfriend could come and listen for a night. It was generous and warm and I am very grateful -- especially to have been invited back. Diana's on Friday nights is our standing appointment, and this past Friday was the one year of it.

I remember standing up to go, all nervous and what do I say -- um, thanks? for the most amazing live concert I've ever heard? in your living room? -- and Barbara Lee telling Steve "we like this one. Don't fuck it up." Which, of course, completely broke the awkwardness and there were laughs and hugs all round, and "come back next time you're in town." Which I did.

Thank you Diana. If I haven't said so before.


Here is a picture of Dutton's (including Diana and her harp oh wait! and Steve!) which I stole shamelessly from the 'Music in the Landing 2004' website. Hee hee. Incidentally, the gazebo they (Dutton's) are playing in is the one we are having the wedding in, and in fact, it was the Dutton's Music in the Landing performance in that very gazebo in 2006 that gave me the idea of having it there in the first place!



Here is another (stolen) photo of Steve, Susann and Laurel:



In other news, I ordered fabric swatches from ariadress.com. They are shantung silk in #1 white, #4 scarlet, #15 dark red, #16 brown, #71 petal, #47 peony and #42 leaf. I want a colour that won't clash with whatever colour of flowers comes out of the ground at wedding-time; if the bloomers are orange, pink, red, white -- whatever, I don't want major clashing. Fortunately, I like orange and red and pink and red together just fine, so they all should pretty much work. I was thinking, though, that the dark brown is most likely to not clash, plus it's kind of neutral so it will suit everyone, plus it is quite fashionable now, so the re-wearability factor is high.

These are the colours:







This is the brown:



I'm guessing it would surprise no-one to find out this colour is called 'espresso' -- I do like my coffee!

I've left messages for the hall-lady in order to give her the contract and deposit, but I haven't heard back yet. This doesn't really surprise me as it took almost a month to get the contract in the first place. Oh well -- Creek time.

My good friend Andie is an awesome artist, and I think I may have suckered -- I mean 'convinced' -- her into taking photos during the ceremony and a few posed shots afterwards. When I asked her if she'd mind, she got all enthusiastic and suggested renting a digital SLR camera! Fortunately, Steve has one of those and a) doesn't mind her using it (use it, please!) and b) will even show her all about how to use it. I'm excited, as I think Andie has a real photojournalist/artistic eye and marvelous sense of composition. Thanks, Andie!

Speaking of art, my darling FH (future husband, per Indiebride lingo) ruined his own Christmas present today. I had found a set of new pastels (the kind he likes) on eBay. I told him the bidding went too high, but I actually bought them and had them sent here. In a shocking turn of events, they were delivered (along with a book I bought) right to our mailbox and he picked them up (literally and figureatively). Having used pastels oh about a million times, he recognized right away what they were. He called me to ask if he could open the packages -- what packages? I asked all innocent. He mentioned that one felt like pastels. I told him not to fondle anything else! and my co-workers were VERY curious about what I was talking about :-) Silly man. He ended up just buying the pastels so that I could get him a proper surprise.

Where can I find coal on the Sunshine Coast?

Well, he took this sunset photo yesterday, so I guess he deserves a present:



(I stole it shamelessly from his blog. Thanks, Steve!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lor,

In terms of your colour swatches -- I like the burgundy with the...petal, I think it is (a very pale purple?), or even the petal with the espresso. I'm not sure what your ideas for a colour palette for all of us is going to be yet. Are you thinking about maybe having all the women in the wedding party having the same colour skirt but different coloured tops? ...or...? I do like that wrap shirt on that website you the in links to. Does it matter, if we were all going to get garments from that website, what kind of fabric we get? I'll bet you're still thinking of these things just as I am...we certainly do have a bit of time yet, so no reason to panic. Do you find with each settled plan of one facet of the wedding, you get more excited that the ideas are coming together? (And that that part of the job is sort of done?) Anyway, meanderings...thoughts....

From, Alex